Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How To Pack Like A Champ

It's difficult to pack light. In my experience however, it's worth the sometimes traumatic choices one has to make of what to bring and what to leave behind.  Most hotels in Europe have minuscule elevators (if any) so you'll likely be shlepping your bags up several flights of stairs, or onto trains, or over cobblestone streets full of people.  Trust me; you'll be glad you didn't bring that extra pair of shoes in the long run.

I was able to pack for 10 days in a carry-on size bag.  This is what I packed:
-one pair of shoes (wore the other ones)
-two pairs of pants (wore the third)
-eight shirts of varying sleeve lengths that were basic in color/pattern
-one black sweater
-four washable panties (!)
-four pairs of ped/stocking socks
-one scarf (wore the other)

-two pairs of earrings
-one hair doughnut (which I didn't even use)
-minimal makeup in a ziplock bag

I wore my black North Face fleece (goes with everything and keeps you warm!) and also carried a trench coat on my arm.  Once you're there, it's nice to have more than one jacket option!

Here's the main secret- washing clothing in the hotel sink! Before leaving, I bought this clothes line designed for hotel washing:
It works by sticking the clothing between the little braids, which are elastic. Yes, this is not super glam Euro-tripping, but it certainly saved me room in my bag. The only things I actually washed were the panties, socks, and teeshirt that I wore next to my skin.  I ended up ripping a hole in one of my pants, so I really only wore two over the whole trip! I also packed a tiny bottle of detergent for the sink washing. I was even a good wife and washed a few of Dustin's socks too.  


Ok, lets talk about these washable panties. Warning: SO NOT HOT. Marry an understanding husband.  Their slogan is "17 countries. 6 weeks. One pair of award-winning underwear. (Ok, maybe two.)" 
Here's the link: http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/womens-give-n-go-bikini-brief

Keep it simple. Stick to the basics. The happy smile on your face will look better in the pictures than all your matching accessories. 




No comments:

Post a Comment